Tuesday, May 25, 2010

the very brave

saturday afternnon.
wal-mart.
feelings of annoyance and irritation
i expected
but
despair?
not since the panic attacks
of 2005-2006
have i had to stave off
copious tears
in raw meats
but
the problem was
jack in his
baseball uniform
if you’ve never been
shopping
accompanied by a boy in uniform
you’ve missed this:
did you win your game?
what’s your batting average?
what position do you play?
you know the braves are making a comeback.
       my boys are twenty-five and thirty -
      they played all through the years.
      i really miss that.
we walk away and jack whispers
do we know him?
and all at once i’m bawling
because i know there is an
end
to the pile of cleats
the gloves in the car
home plate and a pitcher’s mound in the yard
and i’ll be the stranger in wal-mart
quizzing little kids in their uniforms
did you win your game?


Linking up to Chatting at the Sky and Finding Serendipity today.

3 comments:

  1. i SOOOOO love this! it's right where i am and you are so right! loveitloveitloveit while you can! the memories are SO sweet. and it's so different from here looking back. this was so well-written, too, kendal. great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear ya and I feel your pain! I am right there with you!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya and I feel your pain! I am right there with you!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete