Friday, July 19, 2013

chicken wings - the mystery of belonging, but not

it was left-overs night
but
no one could find the wings
at least forty of them
in a roasting pan
and one by one
the siblings
the teens
didn't know
i checked the condos'
refrigerators
freezers
ovens
an ocean isle mystery.....
i found them
at least forty of them
in a roasting pan
in the cabinet
where the roasting pan belonged
but didn't really
and
aren't we the same?
belonging
as salt to the earth
but
also not belonging,
living out our tent days
pining for perfect
the wings? pitched them into the trash
us? let's pray for saltiness while we
belong....

how about you? any funny stories of late? instances of feeling like you belong but not really?

linking with-

the gypsy mama for five-minute-friday, grace for FYBF, beholding glory for faith-filled friday, cheryl for true vine challenge, barbie for freshly brewed life

11 comments:

  1. Your storytelling is my favorite, and belonging, yet, not belonging is I think how I live.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! Funny how things happen and give us pause--and a great lesson in belonging.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Belonging, yet not belonging. Living out our tent days. All of this was beautiful! So good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this because I can't write this way and because it's lyrical and funny and so YES. The belonging and not belonging...
    I think I'm in love with you here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. And one more- I just bought your book from Lulu! I live in Rocky Mount! Hello there, NC friend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, Kendall, we do feel at times as if we have been forgotten and stuck away somewhere on this side of eternity! Or even as if we are just leftovers ourselves.
    Blessings XX
    Mia

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so creative! and made me smile tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I thought I was the only one who did this. I once looked all over for the leftover salmon we just had. It was not in the refrigerator. I'd forgotten about it and a couple days went by and I noticed an odor. I was putting dishes away and when I moved some Tupperware, one was too heavy. I picked it up and there was the container full of salmon in the cupboard. Instead of putting it in the fridge, I'd put the container back in the cupboard! Luckily it had only been a couple days. Linking with Weekend Brew. Kim

    ReplyDelete
  9. Belonging yet not belonging. Oh how I go through the ebbs and flows of this. Thank you for sharing at The Weekend Brew!

    ReplyDelete