Monday, July 11, 2011

for a girl unknown

one of my brother cam's photos
i saw you in wal-mart
this morning
your too-tiny hand reaching
out to touch the boost
i saw you in wal-mart
this morning
your bone-thin crook
covered with cotton ball
and band-aid
you've had blood drawn
haven't you?
i don't know your name
but i know that look
in your eyes
the desperation
the anger
the fear
i don't know your name
but i know you've been
to the doctor today
and now you're ordered
to
gain
weight
and nothing scares you more
than
food
you don't know me
but i want to tell you
that
there
is
hope
you don't know me
but i want to tell you
that
the tiny part of you that wants to get better
can. win.
i've been there
touching the boost
ordered to gain
blood drawn
family terrified
i have
fought
that
battle
and won
i wish i could tell you

and for these i am thankful:

237. tomato sandwiches with fresh, homegrown tomatoes
238. my husband. he holds my hand
239. family reunions
240. finishing good books
241. my girl, the one i mentor. she answered the phone last night <3
242. worshiping with old friends and new
243. seeing the grieving family at church again
244. six days until the finley family beach trip
245. worship camp for my boys
246. scripture memory
247. financial prayers answered

linking with:

michelle for hear it on sunday, use it on monday
ann for 1000 gifts

18 comments:

  1. oh, I feel for that person you saw. Let's hope and pray he/she makes it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. your prayers will find her for sure.
    so watchful you are.
    Tee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Moving words, heartfelt and filled with compassion and care. I believe He calls our attention to those who need our prayers...those who, perhaps, have no one in their lives to lift their needs higher. And so they linger in the hearts of strangers who know. Strangers who pray.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such encouragement and love from you words... from your experience... from you fight. So happy you won! I love holding hands with my husband. A family beach trip sounds wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is so difficult to see others struggle with the things we have overcome. You speak with such compassion and love, and I'm sure it can be seen in your eyes. God bless her, and God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. He hears the prayer...He knows that your prayer is heartfelt and needed, even if that person never knows it.

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how I can relate to this. Seeing a girl, knowing her struggle with ED, because I had lived with it, recognizing her from high school, but not saying anything. Then realizing that maybe I should, so I search, but she's gone. And I wonder if I've missed my chance to understand, to reach out.
    What a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like it that you weren't just shopping at Walmart . . . you went with open eyes and open heart.

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, Jen! thanks for reminding me to keep my eyes open today.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful, Jen! thanks for reminding me to keep my eyes open today.

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I love that GOD allowed you there, at that moment in time, to see her and pray, and tell others so we can add our prayers...

    ReplyDelete
  12. K,
    Love your heart for those who have been on the same road you have traveled. Love how you help us understand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. oh Kendal..your heart is so transparent here..just precious. I hope someone tells her that. I love the fact that when we've been through something we have a compassion for people that are there too.
    It is special that God does that isn't it?
    xo:)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your heart is beautiful. I will pray for that girl with you, knowing that she can beat this battle.

    I'm so glad that your girl broke the silence!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful, touching poetry, Kendal. I love that you have eyes to see and are willing to share your heart.

    It's good to be back in blogland after vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  16. beautiful. and how very good (how saving) that He knows her name. each precious one.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such beautiful, heartfelt words. Thank you for sharing part of your story...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chills, Kendal. You won. And you minister through your writing to so many. You are one of my thankfuls!

    ReplyDelete