Monday, April 9, 2012

the third cup

Goblet
photo credit
i was like a child for my first
passover seder
stumbling over words
charoset, afikomen, haggadah
making eleven drops
of juice on my napkin
to represent egypt's ten plagues
eating bitter herbs with mild trepidation
but of the too-much-to-learn-in-one-night
i am holding the four cups
that represent god's i wills
i will bring you out from under egypt's yoke
i will free you from being slaves to them
i will redeem you with an outstretched arm
i will take you as my own people
the third cup whispers hope in my ear
as i think about jesus offering redemption
at his last passover seder
and i am floored
after the supper he took the cup, saying,
this cup is the new covenant in my blood
which is poured out for you
is this cup, redemption, also the one of his
gethsemane prayer?
father, if you are willing,
take this cup from me;
yet not my will,
but yours be done
this third cup, redemption,
whispers
hope
in my ear
and
i
am
floored

continuing to count his gifts to 1000 -

600. salvation
601. cadbury mini-eggs
602. dirty floors (means we have good weather!)
603. my small group - we might not always agree, but we love
604. the montana privettes now north carolina privettes
605. my parents' lily on their grandson's grave
606. the hope of sunrise
607. the joy of mentoring
608. my husband's wisdom and laughter and care
609. hank and jack playing with their younger cousins

linking with:

michelle for hear it monday, use it on sunday, ann for 1000 gifts, l.l. for on, in, and around mondays
joan for sharing his beauty, richella for grace imparted, laura for playdates with god
jen for soli deo gloria and shanda for on your heart tuesdays

15 comments:

  1. "I will redeem you with an outstretched arm" The cross is the ultimate vision of the outstretched arm. His redemption of us though we didn't deserve it. Beautiful words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I love to meditate on this. Oh how beautiful the blood flowed, how merciful the love showed, the King of Glory poured out - VICTORIOUS ARE WE NOW!!!
    Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Kendal. You did awesome reading your parts too. You have an excellent spirit about you that is beautiful...because it flows from your love affair with your God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your insights and experience at your first passover seder, Kendal. I've never participated in one myself, but this sounds like a profoundly important experience every Christian should partake in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I attended an event last Tuesday night that I thought was going to be a seder, but it ended up just talking about it. It was a great celebration, nonetheless, but I still want to participate in an actual seder. Maybe next year.

    Floored by redemption. Maybe it always have that effect on us! Thanks, Kendal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love praise number 602. Thanking Him with you for dirty floors.. and a Savior that carried all my dirt to the grave.. and left it there. Hope you Easter was lovely

    ReplyDelete
  6. Listening for that 'whispered hope' along with you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your words always leave me breathless. This is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful words! I, too, participated in a seder for the first time this year and it was rich. Very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such wonderful "I wills" - great hope and strength in these beautiful words. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. His love is amazing! Praise God for our risen Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so glad you shared about this, Kendal. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found your blog through Soli Deo Gloria. This is such a beautiful post. I have been lingering on Jesus' sacrifice for us and His wonderful gift for the last few days...can't seem to stop thinking about it :)

    Blessings to you,
    Megan

    visiting from Here to Find Him

    ReplyDelete
  13. amen. you put words to my heart's weight again.

    ReplyDelete