Friday, November 9, 2012

leaving quiet behind

we've kept the fireplace alive
this week
so my bedroom is chilly,
necessitating a kind of five-blanket
cocoon
that is
just
so
hard
to leave in the mornings
but the alarm reminds me of my calling
and
i am in school mode
tweaking lesson plans
mental-listing the day's non-classroom tasks
organizing papers for the great paper-pass-back of 2012
this year is a challenge
and
it's harder and harder
to leave quiet behind
(she certainly doesn't come to work with me)
but it's more than leaving my cocoon everyday
it's
two preps
new curricula
new personnel
unpredictable students
meetings
paperwork
truth?
sometimes i want to escape to my cocoon
my safe, warm, quiet home life
but
i love the teaching part
i love the curious-kids-asking-meaningful-questions part
i love the interacting with youth part
and this leaving my quiet
to eat lunch with 250 thirteen-year-olds?
it's what god has for me right now
and quiet?
she'll wait
how about you? what does god have for you right now?

linking with -

the gypsy mama for five-minute-friday
studio jru for sneak peek friday
grace for FYBF
beholding glory for faith-filled friday

16 comments:

  1. I love the way you describe your bed as a cocoon. And if that picture is of YOUR house, I would love to visit. It looks so peaceful and QUIET!

    As for what God has for me...long-term I am discerning that, but I think I am figuring it out. Today, though, in the short-term...a bit of cleaning, lunch with my hubby and maybe a bit of shopping. I won a $50 gift card last week!

    Mary
    http://www.marybonner.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, that is our house! and it's WAY out in th emiddle of nowhere, too.

      Delete
  2. i struggle. . . balancing what God has for me with my "need" for the quiet. what He has just seems so. very. noisy! :-)
    trusting it all into His hands, though.
    have a great day!
    steph

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't want to leave my cocoon this morning either! God is teaching me that I need to stop worrying about the "bigness" of my ministry and concern myself with obeying Him. "Small" doesn't mean "less" in God's economy. That's what He has for me today.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love how you weave a story into a poem, Kendal. It's not the season of quiet for me either.

    ReplyDelete
  5. praying for you! missing you! hoping your day is a blessing to all you meet.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too...love a cold room and piles of blankets...well except when I have to get out...there are seasons...quiet ones and more hectic ones...but if we are where God has us...our souls can be quiet...blessings to you day of teaching~

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh gosh it couldn't be more opposite here, stinking hot, dripping with sweat counting down the final days to the end of the school year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. really? what southern-hemisphere coutry are you in?

      Delete
  8. I live in Sydney and it has been so hot here. Spring is turning into summer and all my seedlings are just sprouting with the promise of a good yield this year. The heat is heavy and wet here in Sydney, just the opposite of what you describe of your little corner of the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the way you tell this story so lyrically. I have a hard time leaving that "cocoon" too... And right now, I'm in the middle of leaning on God for wisdom and direction, having lost one job, looking for what He wants me to do. Visiting here from Faith-filled Friday...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yep I'm with Rhianna and we're in the north of Australia. I kind of love the idea of being chilly right now, but this is where God has me. Not sure why sometimes, but I'm determined to be content in it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Now, I must know. Is this your house? I'm thinking yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, my house. we built it ourselves (i mean with help from some awesome guys who camped on our land and chopped on logs for 6 months....)it's on chris's family land, and we've lived in it for 15 years. it's a blessing. except when we have forgotten something from the grocery store.

      Delete
  12. Beautifully written.
    Yes, it is what God has for me as well... at least for right now.
    Thank you.
    Your house looks amazing.

    ReplyDelete