Sunday, April 28, 2013

in which a non-knitter waxes poetic on knitting

a stack of papers, ungraded,
lies on the couch beside me
while
60 minutes, closed captioning on,
competes for my attention
and
a bag of chocolate chips, in the cabinet,
really wants to assuage my sugar craving
but
before i grade
before i pay attention to the news magazine
before i whip up a batch of cookies
i want to retrace saturday -
a road trip to stokesdale
to connect, in real life,
with women
seeking community
as
writers
readers
talkers
listeners
believers
the hurting
the healing
and saturday? there was knitting
(for real, a lady sat and listened and knitted something purple)
but also knitting friendships
like david and jonathan -
the soul of jonathan was knit to the soul of david
i'm not the greatest friend in the world
my excuses are that i'm busy and sleepy
but look.
look at david and jonathan - knit together
and i want to stop dropping stitches, you know?

how are you with friendships - tightly knit? out of yarn? dropping stitches?

linking with -

michelle for hear it monday, use it on sunday, ann for 1000 giftsjoan for sharing his beauty, laura for playdates with god, jennifer for tell his story, jen for soli deo gloria, my freshly brewed life and kat for titus 2 tuesdays

19 comments:

  1. The girl knitting the purple scarf, yes! It went along with all of the other knitting that was happening.

    You know, I used to pride myself in how I love my friends, but I have been just flat out lazy with my relationships lately. Working to change that.

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And you girls? Thank you so much for making the long trek. It was an honor to have you and my only regret is that you had such a long trip back that we couldn't stay and chat all day. I would have loved that...a ton and my inrl friends would be that much better if you were closer. :

    ReplyDelete
  3. So this is why I haven't started a blog... Your words captured the day beautifully and I can't believe you made the knitting connection. I was hoping the purple scarf was a door prize!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're a non-knitter and you know about dropped stitches? I'm impressed. I am thankful that we had the opportunity to cast on the first stitches of a new friendship!

    (And I was jealous of Lydia's knitting--I have a blue scarf just like hers at home, just waiting for me to finish it!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the knitting analogy. I have some friendships that are close-knit because we see each other often, but others that are also close even though we don't see each other often because we were woven together tightly to begin with, The weave holds up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comes at a good time for me - I've recently had a hard but necessary wake-up call regarding friendship ... and how I have let them slide lately.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the way you incorporated different meanings of "knit" into this post! Thanks for sharing your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not a knitter, but I often envy those who are. There is a certain quiet, rhythmic persistence that produces something beautiful. Great word picture.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this, Kendal! And I love the thought of God knitting our hearts together, no matter the miles!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I don't knit, but I love how God used your (in)RL meet up to knit hearts together. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Knitting friendships...funny how that happens when we share a purpose. I'm not a knitter but I've always wanted to learn. Bucket list. Lovely, Kendal.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your poetry! This reminds me of how Paul wrote in Ephesians 4:16 that we are bound together. The word used there is symbibazō, which can also mean knit together. :) Don't you love that!?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love how you wrote this with the knitting analogy. I'm feel like I'm a turtle in a world of hares when it comes to cultivating friendship but I'm trying to catch up, I really am.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I know I have said this before but I really do love your writing style. The phrase about dropping stitches is so good and a great image to remember. We just spent a week traveling with lifelong friends and never stopped talking at all. What a precious gift that is! Keep knitting!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love, love, love the knitting of hearts by His needles. You're so creative!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the rhythm of knitting scarves and prayer shawls. Even more I love the rhythm of knitting heart friends who both are knit into God's heart.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is wonderful! I love it that she knit while listening. I crochet while listening and find that to be so soothing. The knitting of relationships though is where I have failed to close the stitches. I must pick up that manual called the Bible and retrace the steps about relationships. Caring through Christ, ~ linda

    ReplyDelete
  18. I totally didn't get the knitting connection until I read this post! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete